Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why we do it...

Growing up I hated having to go to the washroom anywhere outside of my house. My biggest fear was going to the washroom and having a big long poop and then having to go back to my group knowing that they knew that I knew that I had been gone way too long.

About five years ago my best friend and I went on a three week backpacking trip around Europe. In most of the places we stayed the bathrooms had barely a paper thin wall dividing it from the room, and boy could you hear everything! Every fart, plop and tinkle even with the TV blaring. I think it took us about 3 nights before we started commenting on the volume the other was making, even going as far as commenting while the other was in the loo. I will admit I was the meaner of the two and at one point my friend begged me to wander the streets of Paris while she emptied her load.

A few years later the same friend and I decided to be roomies, permanently sharing a toilet. And that`s when it happened. We aren't sure when or how, but what started out as an embarrassing and taboo act has flourished into one of our main conversation topics on a daily basis. And why not? Everyone does it, and talking about it has been so free and enlightening we decided we needed to share our discussions with the rest of the world.

And since poop isn't always the only crappy thing produced some days we are going to talk about all of the crappy things in life, not just shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment